Sunday, October 21, 2007

You Must Stop Before You Can Go

We now have the brakes pretty much done on the MGA just have to pick up 2 copper washers for the banjo fitting on the right front caliper. We pulled the drums and calipers off and luckily were able to rebuild everything. We had a set of wire wheels and tires donated by Gary Wortman from our MG car club. Thanks Gary!! The engine is the next thing to work on we spun it over carefully putting oil in the cylinders first and letting it set and then turning the flywheel by hand and finally using the starter to spin the engine over. I have and exhaust system from my MGA that we are going to use for the car a few years ago I put a 1800 engine in my MGA and a different exhaust system. My wife always used to ask me why I kept the old exhaust system now I know why. If all goes well we hope to fire the car up in a couple weeks .

2 comments:

Gary Faules said...

Hey there George & Tom,

Now that I have had a few days to unwind after having ran the 2007 La Carrera Panamericana I just wanted to thank both you fine gentleman for all the right on advice, support and friendship both of you offered all of which was nothing short of the very best. The good news is you won't have to offer any condolences! You were so correct in your warning that there would be many friendships and memories made.

I was really happy to see just how many other racers share your enthusiasm with regards to Volvos as there were several as well as the one driven by the famous Jo Ramirez and we became good friends with him as well.

I regret we will not be running the same race in 2008 since we have obligations to attend the SEMA show which is during the same time but there are future plans to attend.

In the mean time I am anxiously awaiting the day you get this new project running.

Best regards, Gary Faules
Team California's Best Racing

George Sullivan said...

Gary
I know it takes a while to unwind and get back to a somewhat normal life agian after the La Carrera the memories will last a lifetime and also the friendships. The MGA project has been on hold because of deer hunting here in Michigan. We did get the car started for a short time so when we get back to work on it next monday it's back to full ahead. I will be posting a video of he start up this week. With the weather here I know Tom has supplied me with a nice cold garage floor to lay on while I am welding the exhaust system on. After the first of the year we are going to start to work on the Volvo .
Best to you
George